Besides, the quest for "understanding" is what has exhausted you; our need for "understanding" is our disease of faithlessness. "Understanding" is our defense against being and knowing. "Understanding" is an intellectual purgatory prior to immersion in the fires of experience. - Cary Tennis

Friday, December 1, 2006

Rehousing it

So I went to write for a bit, as you will see below, hoping it would perk up my mood, but it was rather heavy going, especially toward the end. I just didn't know where to take the story. I forced an ending and then randomly clicked on a link to my own archives, landing on this:

"The book I'd been reading (until I had to return it to the library, anyway) was very heavy on the inseparability of plot and character. Plot, it averred, is what characters do next -- asserting that plot problems can be solved by changing the nature of your character. Now I see that. Stories get a lot easier to write when you have a character who really wants something. And would do just about anything to get it."

Well, jeez. I have no idea what my character wants. I went into the story thinking about setting, and that was about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment