Besides, the quest for "understanding" is what has exhausted you; our need for "understanding" is our disease of faithlessness. "Understanding" is our defense against being and knowing. "Understanding" is an intellectual purgatory prior to immersion in the fires of experience. - Cary Tennis

Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Post-Improvement

I wanted to be told what to do. I wanted this, suddenly and profoundly, more than I had wanted anything lately beside a piece of chocolate pie. Bones were scattered around me, all over the floor, I had put the other astragalus somewhere unknown when I stopped to take the phone call because I always do that, my hands move completely independently of my consciousness when I'm on the phone. Trying to break up over the phone. Saying, "No, I know, I know that," my hands picking up astragalus and ulna and metacarpal and hiding them on me while my mind was twenty miles away. My body misbehaves.

It is impossible to work when one is ending a love affair. It is especially impossible to do creative work. Moreso when one has been hired, one suspects, on the strength of one's resume and not on one's knowledge, the resume having been concocted from scratch while drunk at the behest of this man. When I got the call for this particular installation I was dead sleepy, which is almost as good as being drunk, which explains why I wasn't too startled and frightened to say yes.

I was surrounded by the bones of one medium-sized Deinonychus, plus one replica of the Arc of the Covenant, one mounted oryx head, and one life-sized wax figure of Buffalo Bill Cody. My instructions were to create a Post-Ironic display for my employer's gigantic foyer using these four objects as motifs. I didn't know what Post-Irony was. I'd meant to Google it before I left that morning but once again I'd set my alarm for 7 p.m. instead of 7 a.m. and woke up at 8 and so there was no Googling.

I did know how the bones of a dinosaur go together. But I had never worked in a museum--as my resume averred--because museums don't hire people who don't have degrees. I learned how the bones go together from him, the way I learned how a lasagna goes together, the way I learned how a resume goes together. He was very interested in improving me.

It was impossible. I attached the skull of the Deinonychus over the skull of the oryx that night, in the silent cathedral-like place, and slid one of the long femurs into Buffalo Bill's hands in place of the rifle, which implement of destruction would then make up one of the legs of the dinosaur. The Arc I draped with Bill's fringed calfskin coat for an altar cloth. I found the lost astragalus on a windowsill, and eventually placed it back there in a hopefully Post-Ironic way. I picked up my phone and put it down again ten times. I didn't know how to break up with a man who had made me his life's work any more than I knew how to put together a proper art installation. I was without a prayer. I was Post-Improvement.

Somehow during the night one of the little foot-bones made it into my pocket. I didn't find it till I got home, but you know that of course I kept it. I love the shape of metatarsals, like distended drums, lithe and instantly recognizable. It was a message. It said, "What you take without thinking is more important than what you are willingly given."

Note: I googled "I wanted to be told what to do," and this image came up, is where this odd little story came from.

No comments:

Post a Comment