Besides, the quest for "understanding" is what has exhausted you; our need for "understanding" is our disease of faithlessness. "Understanding" is our defense against being and knowing. "Understanding" is an intellectual purgatory prior to immersion in the fires of experience. - Cary Tennis

Thursday, January 5, 2012

The way that works for me

Not everybody does it this way, but I do. First, take a single match and a very sharp knife. Place the match down on a piece of wood and slice it lengthwise, carefully. Now you have two match halves.

You have wood, you have kindling, you have tinder, but make sure you have very small pieces of twigs. This is the most important thing. Pick up the smallest things you can find that are actually twigs. They should be thinner than the tine on a fork. Thinner than... what am I thinking of? Thinner than a piece of string.

Take your small sticks and lay them in the firepit in any way you choose. The sticks that are as big around as your finger. Some people like to make a tepee, or a lean-to, but I always make a log cabin, because you can make it every time and it's not dependent on the size of the sticks you have at your disposal. Two things are very important: Make sure you have a hole you can slide the match into, and Make sure you have more holes for air.

Once you've built it up a couple inches, I like to make sure the final sticks at the top are close enough together to lay all the tiny twigs across without them falling in. And do so. Before you get your match, put increasingly bigger sizes of twig close at hand, because you'll want to add them on.

Then take one of the match-halves and strike it, and get it under the tiny twigs. Once they start to burn, put slightly-larger twigs on top of them. Then once they burn put some larger ones. Soon your fire will be going, no doubt about it. But if something goes wrong, use the other match-half. Be very careful about wind.

That's how you start a fire on one match. I've been doing this since I was twelve and I still win the contest every year. My dad taught me and like I said some people do it other ways, but this is the way that works for me.

Googled "Not everybody does it this way, but I do" and went off this picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment